Monday, October 3, 2011

Run For Taysen

Sunday, September 25 our Team Taysen completed the challenge that we had all layed upon ourselves and had been training for for months. At 7:30am we set Tawnee and Mel off to run the full marathon. We were able to meet up with them between mile 3-4. Meanwhile Nikki was at a different start line running her 5K. Unfortunely, we couldn't be both places at the same time.



At 9:30am the 1/2 marathon race began for Kandi, Melissa, and myself.


As Mel stated in her blogpost about the run, "... The reasons behind the decision to do this marathon made this such an emotional and spiritual journey for me it is difficult to put into words." I find this entirely true for myself. While her decision was based slightly different than mine they both shared something very important in common and that was Taysen.

I found myself so emotional that day and even still. As I sit and reflect on why I am so emotional, I find a couple different reasons as to why this was such a milestone in my life:

Firstly, I never thought I could do this. I have never wanted to do this and here I sit just over a week later, shocked that I did it and I did it well! So in the end I am so entirely PROUD of myself. Really wish my mom could have been there to see it...

Secondly, We did something that will greatly impact the SMA world. We helped raise close to $8,000 for a disease that so many remarkable children battle. Our little Taysen is sooo worth it and after this is all said and done I would do whatever I could to help that little boy and all the other innocent children just like him.

Thirdly, Our bond as friends. I have had soooo much fun training for this run and spending time with these incredible ladies. I have loved every minute of our time together. We have spent many hours talking about running, running, and recovering. We have grown so much together. We have done something as friends that can never be taken away.

And Lastly, to see the smile on Melodie's face that day. When I think back to Tawnee and Mel finishing their marathon hand in hand and smiles across their faces and to understand how hard this was and what this has meant to both of them and just how huge this is... it should make everyone emotional.

A huge thank you to my sister in law Melissa for commiting to doing this with me and pushing me through that run. I know I couldn't have done it this well without you. You never left me behind and pushed me to keep going. I posted a couple pics of us running. I HATE what I look like when I am running but am including them anyway. The first one is us about half way done and the 2nd one is us almost at the finish. Thank you so much Lynnette Randerson for taking these for me!



This is us girls after we had all finished. What a day!

Thanks you to all of you who donated, came out to support us, or prayed for us. We have had so much support throughout this training and race. Thank you to Kip and the boys for allowing me the time to prepare myself for this and for being their to watch us. Your sweet faces there meant more than you know...



If you could see me right now I have tears rolling down my cheeks. (I think my hormone medication must be off) :)



Here is the link again to learn alittle more about the fundraiser or to donate:
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/taysen/runfortaysen

4 comments:

  1. you have such a way with words kelli! I love this. i am crying :) xoxo you're the best.. and for the record i think you look pretty cute when you run !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with Mel, I was in tears reading this last night, and you look awesome! What an incredible experience for everyone invovled in the "Run for Taysen", so proud of you all!!!! *Julie Price

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only you could see me know I have tears streaming down my face as well! You have such a beautiful heart, Kelli. So awesome of Kip too, to make sure you could have mommy breaks to train. This is such an awesome cause and your group of friends are even more awesome people! HUGE feat! Congratulations... seriously so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so much fun cheering you all on, so PROUD of all you amazing girls!! BTW, who sings this "Amazing Grace" song I'm hearing, love it and want it for my Ipod :)
    luv u!!!
    Stacy (Nyhoff)

    ReplyDelete