Tuesday, December 18, 2012

4 years CANCER FREE!

I enjoy reflecting back to major milestones in my life.  There are a few bitter sweet moments in my 31 short years here.  One of those being 4 years ago today....

When I was 18 and I found out that I had the BRCA1 gene I knew my life might get complicated but I didn't realize how and when.  Never did I think at the age of 27 that I would have to face my fate head on.  Sometimes I think the naivety of the situation carried me through.

So today, 4 years ago, I kissed my boys goodbye, spread them out throughout many generous helping hands, checked into the hospital for my mastectomy, shed a few tears with my mom and my family, put my brave face on,  and after a few short hours,  I became a Survivor.  A breast cancer survivor.  I was the lucky one... who easily overcame a demon that claims too many lives.  I was the lucky one... who was able to easily defeat it before it defeated me.

I spent 2 gruesome nights in the hospital, moved into my parents house where my mom took such awesome care of me, and stayed there through Christmas and almost to New Years I think.  That was almost one of my favorite Christmases.  Of course I missed spending that time at home with my own family but I got to spend such quality time with my mom.  I am so thankful that she was still here with us to see me through that time in my life.

Cheers to many more cancer free years...

3 comments:

  1. cheers! you're amazing and brave and so thankful for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers!!! You are a wonderful mom, daughter, sister and all around a wonderful person!!

    ReplyDelete